The Smile will release a new live album this week.
The band – Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, Tom Skinner – released their debut album earlier this year, before commencing a summer-long tour around Europe, North America, and beyond.
Deeply improvisatory, the performances included a slew of new material – with some songs in their gestatory stages.
Hitting the historic Montreux Jazz Festival, The Smile delivered a knockout performance, and included the first-ever airing of ‘Bending Hectic’.
Now, the performance will be given a full official release, boasting eight songs. Available from Wednesday (December 14th), a film of the set will be broadcast from the band’s YouTube channel later today (December 13th).
By releasing their Montreux Jazz Festival performance, The Smile follow in the footsteps of the likes of jazz icon Miles Davis, seminal talent Nina Simone, formative hip-hop crew Wu-Tang Clan, disco king Nile Rodgers and Anna von Hausswolff. The festival’s eclectic and long-standing history specialises in hosting legendary moments from across music culture, acting as a platform that offers creative freedom to artists.
Check out a preview below.
1. Pana-Vision (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
2. Thin Thing (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
3. The Opposite (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
4. Speech Bubbles (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
5. Free In The Knowledge & A Hairdryer (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
6. The Smoke (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
7. You Will Never Work In Television Again (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)