After his fateful motorcycle crash in the summer of 1966, Bob Dylan retreated to upstate New York.
Living in a house which was quickly nicknamed Big Pink, the songwriter hooked up with The Band for lengthy jams sessions through 1967.
Re-working traditional songs, ditties and improvisational pieces, the period was relaxed and allowed Dylan to find renewed focus.
In 1969, the bootleg album 'Great White Wonder' appeared, containing some material from those fateful sessions. An underground classic, Columbia responded in 1975 by releasing 'The Basement Tapes'.
A true gem in Bob Dylan's catalogue, a new six disc version of 'The Basement Tapes' is set to gain an official release.
'The Basement Tapes Complete' will be released on November 3rd, alongside a slimmed down two disc edition titled 'The Basement Tapes Raw: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11'.
Containing a treasure trove of material, these releases have been designed to be as close to the sounds emanating from the Big Pink in the summer of 1967 as possible. So no overdubs, with The Band's Garth Hudson working alongside Canadian music archivist and producer Jan Haust to preserve the deteriorating tapes.
'The Basement Tapes Complete' / 'The Basement Tapes Raw: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11' will be released on November 3rd (pre-order link).
As a taster, here's the tracklisting for 'The Basement Tapes Raw: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11':
1. Open the Door, Homer (Restored version)
2. Odds and Ends (Alternate version)
3. Million Dollar Bash (Alternate version)
4. One Too Many Mornings (Unreleased)
5. I Don't Hurt Anymore (Unreleased) (written by Donald I Robertson and Walter E Rollins)
6. Ain't No More Cane (Alternate version) (Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan)
7. Crash on the Levee (Restored version)
8. Tears of Rage (Without overdubs) (written by Bob Dylan and Richard Manuel)
9. Dress it up, Better Have it All (Unreleased)
10. I'm Not There (Previously released)
11. Johnny Todd (Unreleased) (Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan)
12. Too Much of Nothing (Alternate version)
13. Quinn the Eskimo (Restored version)
14. Get Your Rocks Off (Unreleased)
15. Santa-Fe (Previously released)
16. Silent Weekend (Unreleased)
17. Clothes Line Saga (Restored version)
18. Please, Mrs. Henry (Restored version)
19. I Shall be Released (Restored version)
1. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Alternate version)
2. Lo and Behold! (Alternate version)
3. Minstrel Boy (Previously released)
4. Tiny Montgomery (Without overdubs)
5. All You Have to do is Dream (Unreleased)
6. Goin' to Acapulco (Without overdubs)
7. 900 Miles from My Home (Unreleased) (Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan)
8. One for the Road (Unreleased)
9. I'm Alright (Unreleased)
10. Blowin' in the Wind (Unreleased)
11. Apple Suckling Tree (Restored version)
12. Nothing Was Delivered (Restored version)
13. Folsom Prison Blues (Unreleased) (written by Johnny Cash)
14. This Wheel's on Fire (Without overdubs) (written by Bob Dylan and Rick Danko)
15. Yea! Heavy and a Bottle of Bread (Restored version)
16. Don't Ya Tell Henry (Alternate version)
17. Baby, Won't You be My Baby (Unreleased)
18. Sign on the Cross (Unreleased)
19. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Without overdubs)