DJ EZ has been leafing through his record collection, selecting a number of lost garage classics ahead of his slot at the Upfront Project.
Garage just refuses to go away. More than a decade on from its commercial peak, the sound still exerts a potent influence on British music. Returning for another instalment, London event series the Upfront Project is set to doff its cap towards Garage this Friday (September 21st). Amongst the names on the line up are DJ EZ, MJ Cole and Lil Silva, with plenty more being kept under wraps.
By no means the only sound you'll hear on the night, the latest instalment of the Upfront Project looks to have a serious garage tip. With that in mind, we've asked DJ EZ to compile a list of five lost cuts from back in the day and beyond.
1. Todd Edwards - Feelin Lonely (Sample Choir EP) 1995 Everyone knows that I am Todd Edwards's biggest supporter and love EVERY track that he has produced and remixed. 'Feelin Lonely' (and 'The Praise') was one of the stand out tracks on this 4 track EP and it was certainly one of the tracks that ignited my flame to be a part of the UK Garage movement!
2. Beppe Gioia & Thomas - Togetherness (Jeremy Sylvester Remix) 2011
Jeremy Sylvester aka Club Asylum (plus many other names!) has been a part of my UK Garage career since day one and has been a mainstay in my track selection in the clubs and on radio. He has continued to churn out excellent productions and remixes which has cemented him in my Top 3 favourite producer / remixer list...
3. Yasmin ft Shy FX & Ms Dynamite - 'Light Up (The World)' (MJ Cole Remix) 2011
A legend, an amazing producer, super talented and an all round nice guy! It's MJ Cole who has done another superb remix. Like Jeremy Sylvester, his music has been a part of my record box and now CD case since the start. The guy deserves a knighthood!
4. KCAT vs Mike Delinquent Project - Live 2011
I had to include a Mike Deliquent Project track into my list of five as Mike has and is doing some big things for our scene right now. This track came out last year and was instantly a part of my weekly Kiss radio show and club play. He has been making alot of noise over the past year with high quality remixes for the likes of Wretch 32, Donaeo, Miss Dynamite, Sneakbo and more. Keep them coming Mike...
5. Afrimerican Coalition - No More Weeping (Vsmq Underground Mix) 1994
To end my list, I include 'No More Weeping' which brings back so many good memories for me. It was around the mid 90's where I was on Freek FM and my career was starting to take off with lots of listeners to my radio show and an increase in club bookings. Memories aside, it was one beautiful track....
The Upfront Project returns this Friday (September 21st).