Sam Smith has been the named the winner of the BRIT Critics Choice Award 2014.
Perhaps the biggest awards ceremony on the music calendar, the BRIT Awards is able to draw in performances from world beating, classic artists.
Yet they also enjoy rewarding new talent, notably via the Critics Choice award. The shortlist for 2014 included Ella Eyre, Chloe Howl and Sam Smith, with all three in with a chance of winning. In the end, though, only one artist could waltz away with the trophy.
Sam Smith was named the winner of the BRIT Critics Choice award 2014, commenting: "I'm completely overwhelmed! To see my name alongside the list of former winners, artists I admire so much it, is incredible. What an amazing Christmas present. Thank you!"
To coincide with this, Universal Music is preparing a compilation based on the voting process. Available from January 6th, the album features each shortlisted artist from the awards' inception back in 2008 - alongside a few bonus cuts.
1. Sam Smith - Nirvana
2. Ella Eyre - Deeper
3. Chlöe Howl - No Strings
4. Adele - Chasing Pavements
5. Florence + The Machine - You’ve Got The Love
6. Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed
7. Jessie J - Price Tag
8. Emeli Sandé - Read All About It, Pt. III
9. Tom Odell - Another Love
10. Foals - Cassius
11. Duffy - Mercy
12. Little Boots - Remedy
13. White Lies - To Lose My Life
14. Delphic - Doubt
15. Marina and the Diamonds - Are You Satisfied?
16. James Blake - Limit To Your Love
17. The Vaccines - If You Wanna
18. Maverick Sabre - I Need
19. Michael Kiwanuku - Home Again
20. AlunaGeorge - Attracting Flies
21. Laura Mvula - Green Garden
iTunes exclusive version will also include 5 bonus tracks:
1. Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over (BRIT Nomination Live Version 2009)
2. Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (BRIT Nomination Live Version 2010)
3. Emeli Sandé - Next To Me (BRIT Nomination Live Version 2012)
4. Sam Smith - Nirvana (Until The Ribbon Breaks Re-Imagination)
5. Chlöe Howl - No Strings (Moto Blanco Remix)
The new issue of Clash magazine is out right now. It's always on the money with breakthrough acts worth listening to. So, go and see.