Nordoff-Robbins have kicked off this year's instalment of the Big Apple Award, inviting new talent from across Scotland to take part.
Using music as a form of therapy, Nordoff-Robbins have achieved some fantastic results. Teaming up with Creative Scotland, the charity launched the Big Apple Awards last year as a means of showcasing new and emerging talent.
Returning in 2013, the Big Apple award is again seeking submissions. At stake is a spot supporting The View at New York's famed Bowery Ballroom on April 7th during Scotland Week - an unrivalled experience with untold media exposure.
Judges will be whittling down entrants, before the final five acts perform at Glasgow venue The Garage on December 19th. Judges this year include Yvonne McLellan from Island Records, Caroline Parkinson, Director of Creative Development, Creative Scotland, BBC Introducing presenter Ally Macrae, Robin Murray from Clash Magazine (hello!) and Mickey Mcmonagle from the Sunday Mail.
Donald MacLeod, Chairman of Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy in Scotland, was typically enthusiastic when launching the Big Apple award. “We are delighted to be working alongside Creative Scotland to provide this fantastic opportunity for an up and coming Scottish band to play with The View in New York City. The calibre of last year’s entries proved that there is a wealth of talent out there and Song of Return were very worthy winners. I am looking forward to finding another excellent band that will go on to support one of Scotland’s great musical success stories in the greatest city in the world.”
The competition is open to Scottish based bands only. Artists should send a CD demo with no more than two songs, a recent photograph (s), Press releases or press cuttings and completed artist questionnaire to:
Big Apple Award Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy in Scotland
48 West George Street
Closing date for entries 3rd December 2012.
Terms and Conditions:
1. Open to Scottish based bands except employees of Creative Scotland, Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy in Scotland and their immediate families, their agents or anyone professionally associated with this promotion.
2. All artists must be aged 21 or over.
3. Five short listed acts will play at The Final in The Garage on 19th December 2012 (booked by the organisers), the winner will travel on a return trip to play a gig in New York City.
4. Full details on how to enter at www.tartanclef.org
5. Only one entry per band line-up is allowed.
6. Incomplete, illegible, photocopied or corrupt entries or those not in accordance with entry instructions will not be accepted.
7. No responsibility is accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed in the post. Proof of posting or sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
8. The closing date for receipt of entries is 3rd December 2012, entries received after this date will not be accepted.
9. A short-list will be selected by our panel from all valid entries in two rounds of judging. Those entries not through to the second round of judging will be informed week beginning Monday 10th December by email. The five acts playing the Live Final will be informed on or no later than Monday 17th December 2012.
10. No correspondence will be entered into. Entries must be sent by mail. Email and online entries cannot be accepted.
11. The names of the winners will be available on application to www.tartanclef.org
12. The Promoter will only use the personal details supplied for the administration of the prize draw and for no other purpose, unless we have your consent.
13. Winners will be required to take part in publicity arising from the promotion.
14. Winners must be available to perform in Glasgow at the Live Final on 19th December 2012, and be eligible to travel and perform in New York during April 2013, with no criminal convictions either previous or pending.
15. The prize - Return trip to NYC for up to 5 band members & 1 member of management only to play at gig/s organised by Nordoff-Robbins.
16. By taking part in this promotion all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these terms and conditions.
17. In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for an alternative of equal or greater value.