Brownswood are set to piece together a new compilation featuring the likes of Joy Orbison, SBTRKT, Gang Colours and more.
A truly independent label, Brownswood seem to do whatever the hell they like. Maintaining a broad, profoundly eclectic roster, it's perhaps their willingness to tread their own path which makes them so attractive to other artists.
Announcing plans for a remix compilation, Brownswood have been able to call upon some fantastic producers. Fresh from their 100th release, 'Brownswood One Hundred Remixed' finds a range of guests sifting through the label's finest moments.
Opening with Joy Orbison's superbly soulful re-creation of Jose James' 'BLACKMAGIC' the material ranges from the late Noughties to the extremely current. Indeed, the Mala entry 'Noches Sueños (Mala & Simbad Super Dub Mix)' was only placed online a few weeks ago.
Containing nine tracks, this looks like a neat introduction for newcomers and a nice round up for long term Brownswood admirers.
Here's that Joy Orbison re-creation of 'BLACKMAGIC' by Jose James.
1. José James – BLACKMAGIC (Joy Orbison’s Recreation)
2. Gang Colours – To Repel Ghosts (George Fitzgerald Remix)
3. Ghostpoet – Survive It (Quest Guidance Remix)
4. Ben Westbeech – So Good Today (Yoruba Soul Remix)
5. Gilles Peterson’s Havana Cultura Band – Rezando (Michel Cleis Remix)
6. Owiny Sigoma Band – Doyoi Nyajo Nam (Quantic Remix)
7. José James – WARRIOR (SBTRKT Remix)
8. Mala – Noches Sueños (Mala & Simbad Super Dub Mix)
9. Gang Colours – Fancy Restaurant (Machinedrum Remix)
Get the best of Clash on your iPhone - download the app here