Alcohol caused singer's death

Amy Winehouse died as a result of drinking too much alcohol, a coroner has recorded.

The death of Amy Winehouse caused shockwaves around the world. Despite her lengthy battle with addiction, few expected the 'Back To Black' singer's life to be cut short at the tragically early age of 27.

Found dead at her London home, Amy Winehouse left behind a family, friends and millions of fans. Having quite drug abuse towards the end of her life, questions were raised with regards to the singer's death.

Left to wait for a coroner's report, the singer's family were finally granted the results this afternoon (October 26th).

St Pancras coroner Suzanne Greenway said the "unintended consequence" of Winehouse drinking so much alcohol was her "sudden and unexpected death". According to the coroner's report, three empty bottles of vodka were found at the singer's flat (via BBC).

The inquest heard that Amy Winehouse had 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - the pathologist who conducted her post-mortem examination said 350mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood was considered a fatal level.

According to toxicology reports, the singer's system did not contain illegal drugs at the time of her death.

Speaking at the inquest, the singer's GP Dr Christina Romete said that Amy Winehouse had informed her that she did not know if she was going to stop drinking but "she did not want to die".

"She had her own way and was very determined to do everything her own way," said Dr Romete. "Including any form of therapy. She had very strict views."

The family of Winehouse were present at the inquest and issued a statement revealing that it was "some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy".

"We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away -it is likely a build-up of alcohol in her system over a number of days. The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time."

Follow Clash: