Enigmatic producer Last Magpie takes us on a whirlwind tour of the underground for the latest Clash DJ mix, with some welcome stop-offs in Sweden and the US.
Judging by the little information that’s available, Last Magpie is keen to shrug off genre labels and keep his production preferences very much open, dipping in to styles here, there and everywhere, and nabbing bits and pieces as he sees fit, hence the magpie moniker.
But if we had to throw some of those pesky labels around, we’d say that the warm, euphoric house of ‘(Who Knows) Where The Love Goes’, the amped-up Chicago vibes of ‘U See’ and the glitchy two-step of ‘No More Stories’ give something of an idea of Last Magpie, aka Craig McNamara, who’s quickly becoming a staple name on the excellent Hypercolour label and its Losing Suki imprint.
His Clash mix burrows, bass first, through various UK underground styles that mirror his own wide-ranging production ethos, taking in ambient garage, hypnotic dancefloor burners, classic house attacks and some techier pastures, via UK talents such as Eats Everything, Huxley, Shenoda and James Welsh, as well as Swedish producer Axel Bowman and a track by 4th Measure Men – a pseudonym of one Marc ‘MK’ Kinchen. As expected, plenty of shiny treasures swiped and stitched together by this keen-eared magpie.
Last Magpie’s ‘1995’ EP is out now on Losing Suki.
DOWNLOAD THE LAST MAGPIE DJ MIX HERE
(right click 'Save as...)
Last Magpie tracklist
1. Axel Boman - Look What You’ve Done (Hypercolour)
2. Last Magpie - Empire (Unreleased)
3. James Welsh - The Way [Tom Demac Remix] (Join The Dots)
4. Shenoda - Love Thing (Unreleased)
5. 766 Underground Traxx - Biding Time (The Love Revolution)
6. 4th Measure Men - 4 You (Area 10)
7. Last Magpie - Still Walking (Unreleased)
8. Eats Everything - Tone Music (Futureboogie)
9. Huxley - Belly Wedge (Hypercolour)
10. Baunz - 808, Pausetapes & Other Shit (Congaloid)
11. L.A.M.P - Starvin Marvin (Unreleaed)
Check out the previous episodes of our Dj Mix Series on iTunes HERE