Soulful techno mastermind Deetron selects without prejudice for the latest Clash DJ podcast, working through old and new, full-on and downtempo, dancefloor nosebleeds and soothing jazz odysseys. It’s all in there.
The Swiss producer is known for his human take on techno, frequently focusing on melody and warmth, but more than capable of rolling out exquisite club bangers when the mood takes him. With a solid back catalogue under his belt and having released on a plethora of acclaimed underground labels – of particular note is Belgium’s Music Man Records, which released his 2006 album ‘Twisted’ – Deetron (Sam Geiser) has quietly carved out a name for himself as one of the most respected contemporary producers on the scene.
For his Clash mix, Deetron digs deep into a huge record collection and quickly boots any notion of genre restrictions out the window, starting out on a soulful tip via Kirk Degiorgio’s band The Beauty Room and Stevie Wonder, working through various electronica moods, including James Holden and James Blake, and then going in hard and heavy with Jeff Mills and Surgeon before an epic finish courtesy of jazz legend John Coltrane’s version of ‘My Favorite Things’.
Deetron also gave us a great insight into what inspired him on this superb eclectic workout.
“I was inspired for this mix when I was watching my son play with coloured letters, making up words by piecing the characters together intuitively. My thought was to pick my favourite records both old and new and mix them without any limits in terms of style, tempo or functionality and without having the “alphabet” of our scene and music in mind in order to come up with something different altogether. I included some of my all-time favourites, as well as current music which blows me away, just like Holden’s ‘Renata’, James Blake’s ‘I am Sold’, Mala’s ‘Cuba Electronic’ or Andy Stott’s ‘Sleepless’. The mix had to end with John Coltrane’s ‘Favorite Things’, which has to be the most-played record in my collection and the most important piece of music I own.”
Listen to it now... Grab it HERE.
Right click, 'Save As...'
1. Gold Panda - Trust (Loop) [Spectral]
2. The Beauty Room - Soul Horizon [Peacefrog]
3. Anthony Naples - Sleng Teng [Trilogy Tapes]
4. James Blake - Pan [Hemlock]
5. Theo Parrish - Dirt Rhodes [Sound Signature]
6. Stevie Wonder - Jesus Children of America [Motown]
7. Andy Stott - Sleepless [Modern Love]
8. Erdbeerschnitzel - Crossroads [Delsin]
9. Toro Y Moi - Touch [Carpark]
10. Floating Points - Truly [Eglo Records]
11. Valentina - Wolves (Roman Flügel Remix) [Greco Roman]
12. Moodymann - Amerika [KDJ 15]
13. Bonobo - Cirrus [Ninja Tune]
14. James Holden - Renata [Border Community]
15. Mountains - Newsprint [Thrill Jockey]
16. James Blake - I am Sold [Atlas]
17. Mala in Cuba - Cuba Electronic [Brownswood]
18. Special Request - Alone [Special Request]
19. Surgeon - Magneze [Downwards]
20. Jeff Mills - Gamma Player [Axis]
21. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Extract from Why I Oppose The Vietnam War’ speech [Paul Winley Records]
22. Joe Zawinul - Arrival in New York
23. John Coltrane - My Favorite Things (Live at Newport Jazz Festival 1963) [Impulse]
Deetron’s ‘Character’ EP will be released on Music Man Records at the end of June.
Words by Tristan Parker