Norwegian disco don Prins Thomas goes ocean deep for this week’s Clash mix… Literally, that is, as he takes us on a nautical-themed musical journey in his Aquatic Thriller Mix.
Long established as one of the producers who rules the roost when it comes to spacey disco bliss – along with fellow Norse DJ royalty Lindstrøm and Todd Terje – Thomas has always excelled at putting warmth, fun and undeniable grooves into his music – a joyful combination of tastefully nostalgic disco deviations, lo-fi house and cosmic funk that effortlessly lights up any dancefloor.
For his Clash mix, ahead of his set at Croatian festival Stop Making Sense in August, Thomas has put together an Aquatic Thriller mix, connected loosely by the nautical leanings of his chosen tracks (check the tracklist), but also by the laid-back grooves and sunny disco jams throughout, kicked off bravely with a track from gravelly fretboard noodler Chris Rea, given a slow and funky workover by Todd Terje. Other featured artists include acid house pioneer A Guy Called Gerald, timeless disco innovator Arthur Russell, and progressive Dutch producer Legowelt.
Listen to it now... Grab it HERE.
Right click, 'Save As...'
1. Chris Rea - On The Beach (Todd Terje Edit)
2. The Love Unlimited Orchestra Feat. Webster Lewis - Welcome Aboard
3. The Deepest Area - Whirlpool
4. F.U.S.E. - Technotropic
5. A Guy Called Gerald - Pacific Samba
6. Gemini – Swimmin’ Wit’ Sharks
7. Arthur Russell - Let’s Go Swimming (Walter Gibbons Mix)
8. Arthur Russell - Let’s Go Swimming (Walter Gibbons Coastal Dub)
9. Kevin Starke - Need A Bigger Boat
10. Legowelt - El Horizonte
11. Will Dawson - Under The Water (DJD Remix)
12. Alejandro Mosso - Bajamar
13. Galaxy 2 Galaxy - Star Sailing
14. Steve Moore - 30,000 Feet Deep
15. Patrick Cowley - Sea Hunt
16. Matsubara - S.O.S.
Prins Thomas will be playing at Stop Making Sense festival, held from 1-4 August, in Tisno, Croatia. More info and tickets here.
Words by Tristan Parker