The Chicago sound, pure and simple. That’s what this week’s exclusive Clash mix is all about, and its maker – Mystic Bill – is one DJ and producer who knows the sound better than most.
You’ll be forgiven if you don’t know Mystic Bill (William Torres). Suffice to say he’s been channelling the deep, heady sound Chicago house for around two decades (living and DJing in the city for much of that time), on crucial Chicago labels like Trax, Relief and Club House. Preferring to keep his music (and profile) largely under-the-radar and underground, Bill has nevertheless produced and had a hand in some very fine – and often beautifully jackin’ – tunes over the years. Check his 1996 release ‘The Neutral EP’ for a substantial slice of proto house goodness.
Bill’s exclusive DJ mix for Clash explores the producer’s love for Chicago house through some contemporary exponents of the sound, mixing it in with other tracks that share some of the punchier elements of classic 4/4. There’s also a rather special and rather nifty rework of an acid house-leaning banger meeting Daniel Avery’s robo-funk workout ‘Naïve Response’. But we’ll let one Mystic Bill tell you more about that below.
“If I can describe this mix in one short phrase, it would definitely be ‘the Chicago sound’, from the funkier side of house music to the more traditional minimal elements. This mix features recent tracks from Chicago artists like Bear Who, Johnny Fiasco, Donnie Tempo & Alinka, to artists like Roman Flugel, Alexis Raphael & Ricardo Miranda, to name a few. There’s also a few rare classics thrown in for good measure, along with a special rework of Brett Johnson’s acid house classic ‘Everything’s Electric’ vs. Daniel Avery’s ‘Naive Response’. Up to now, this rework has only been heard during my live sets.”
Listen to it now... Grab it HERE.
Right click, 'Save As...'
1. Raiders Of The Lost Arp - Stealing My Love (Photonz LFX Remix) [Snuff Traxx]
2. Lorenz - Rebound (Extended Mix) [Gasoline Records]
3. Bear Who - The Dancer (Hood Fellas and Bear Who Original Mix) [Classic Music Company]
4. Alexis Raphael - Who’s Chorge? (Original Mix) [Moda Black]
5. Ricardo Miranda - Machine Clash [Snuff Traxx]
6. Ismael Casimiro - Crazy Love [Series Music]
7. Electric Response (Mystic Bill Rewerk) - Brett Johnson Vs. Daniel Avery [Brett Johnson - Everything’s Electric: Classic Music Company] [Daniel Avery - Naive Response: Phantasy Records]
8. Johnny Fiasco - Werk it (Original Mix) [Utensil Recordings]
9. Matt Heize - Deep (Sierra Sam Remix) [Ion Music]
10. Roman Flugel - Cookie Dust [Live At Robert Johnson Records]
11. Donnie Tempo - TCB [More About Music]
12. Dr Phibes - Acid Story [Diki Records]
13. Alinka - You’re Basic (Original Mix) [Get Up Recordings]
14. Terry Baldwin Ft. Bud Latour - Delta House [Future Sound Records]
15. Joy Wellboy - Before the Sunrise (Kiki Tension Dub) [BPitch Control]
Words: Tristan Parker
- - -
‘Jungle Line’ (Eats Everything and Dungeon Meat remixes) by Sundowners featuring Mystic Bill, is out now on The Classic Music Company.