There’s a strong chance that you’ll have heard ‘What I Might Do’ – the still-huge track from today’s mix artist Ben Pearce – more than once, and even more chance that you’ll hear it again very soon. Released in 2012, its endearing, leftfield house bounce is never away from the airwaves and club soundsystems for too long, as well as being a solid indicator of this rising producer’s warm and colourful take on deep house.
Beginning his musical career running, promoting and DJing at nights in Manchester, Pearce went on to run the record label part of the Purp & Soul agency, splitting his creative energies between that duty and crafting his own productions, which have been causing a healthy amount of excited chatter.
Pearce’s Clash mix takes an uplifting detour from classic-feel disco and funk to contemporary soulful techno, blending deep dancefloor cuts, gospel house, jittery bass and soul along the way, repping some highly impressive and thoughtful selector skills, featuring tracks from Shed, Midland, Kate Simko and Floorplan, AKA raw techno master Robert Hood.
Listen to it now... Grab it HERE.
Right click, 'Save As...'
1. Linkwood Family - Bacon Rolls
2. KMFH - Dances With a Sun Goddess
3. Casbah - I Want A Lot
4. Debukas - Reach Out Feel
5. Wallflower - Say You Won't Ever (Larry Heard Remix)
6. Montag - True Love (Jeremy Greenspan Remix)
7. Golden Teacher - Like a Hawk
8. Floorplan - We Magnify His Name
9. Kate Simko - Your Love (Kerry Chandler Remix)
10. Midland - Realtime
11. Gongon - I Could Be There
12. Dr Meaker - Don't Think It's Love (Real Connoisseur Remix)
13. Shed - V10MF!/The Filler
14. Future Four - Into Orbit
15. Klangrussel - Sonnentanz (Ben Pearce Remix)
Words by Tristan Parker
Get the best of Clash on your iPhone - download the app here